Monday, January 25, 2010

The dentist

So today was pediatric dentist day. (Fun, fun).

This was Anna-Kate's 5th visit and Ryan's first. Wailing and gnashing of teeth (literally, on the mirror and explorer tools) typically is an accurate depiction of our visit. Sigh. So, it was with much tepidation that I embarked with both of them on back to back appointments (what was I thinking??) then quickly thought better of my approach and called for back-up. Daddy to the rescue!

We have been reading "Dora goes to the dentist" every day for a while now in preparation. We've been talking about being brave. We even prayed about it. The moment of truth? Anna-Kate did great! She was not remotely interested in lying in the chair alone and cried, but once I told her she could sit on my lap and lean her head on the tech's lap, she was great, opened wide and afterwards said, "I was so brave and I am so proud of me. Are you proud of me too Mama?" And yes, I was. Sigh of relief. She trotted off to tell Ryan (playing in the waiting room with Chris) that "it doesn't hurt, just tickles and you get a prize" (necklace for her, ball for him--along with customary sticker and new toothbrush.). Bonus, to make the dentist something to look forward to, we always go out to lunch afterwards. Anna-Kate got to pick anywhere she wanted. Of course, pizza was chosen. (I mean, she is my clone afterall.)

Ryan ran back excited for his ball. There was a show on and he was psyched with his good fortune. Until I put his head on her lap. Hell.broke.loose. And there was wailing and gnashing of teeth. Sigh. I took my camera to document his first visit. We left with no pictures, just a boy whose hair was slicked to his head from being so worked up and sweating. They had to close the door to keep the other kids from freaking out. Ya, I had that kid.

I don't know who was more relieved for that to be over, me, Ryan, the tech cleaning his teeth, the dentist next door, or the other parents trying to keep their own kids calm. Sigh. At least this is checked off the ol' list until July.

Gulp, then I'll have 3. Gracious.

1 comment:

Chris said...

We might need some uncles or aunts or grandparents to help us in July...