Monday, January 18, 2010

Boundaries and Filters

As a preface to this post, I recognize the fact that I've been smaller in my life, and I by no means think I am God's gift to the world.

OK, now that we're clear.

When one is 30+ weeks pregnant (or, any pregnant...) one does everything one can to look cute and pulled together. (Of course). I went to church yesterday feeling as cute as possible and somewhat pulled together. (You know where this is going, right?)

A friend (bless her heart) walked up behind me as I was holding Ryan and said, "Ryan?". I turned around and she said, "Oh Janelle, I thought that was Ryan but you don't look pregnant from behind and I was wondering if that was Ryan or who he was with." Again, God bless you Lucy.

I was walking out of service and saw a woman with a huge grin walking towards me. I have never in my life laid eyes upon this woman, but she was so excited looking to talk with me that I walked up to her. She violated my personal space touched my belly, then proceeded to say, "so you should have that baby soon, huh?" I said, "well, 2 more months." "Oh, really? Wow, must be a big baby in there!" I said, "well, it's a boy and my son was 8.10 when he was born..." (as I looked for a way to leave the conversation...) "I guess they ruled out that it was twins? Though, you look big enough for it to be twins." I said, "well, it is my third." To which she responded, "Oh yes, well I guess you are all stretched out then, huh?" At that point, I said I needed to get to Sunday school and walked away. Thankyousomuchforyourthoughtsonthatone, lady!

Rule # 1 violation, boundaries. If I do not know you, do not touch my belly. It is not sweet nor is it endearing. In fact, it makes me annoyed. Do you want me to touch your belly?

Rule # 2 violation, filter. Something I am teaching my three year old, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. Another gem I learned from childhood, and am passing on to my kids, isthe question, "is it true, kind and necessary? If it's not all three, don't say it". I don't care if in your generation it was only recommended to gain 12 pounds during pregnancy (and, by the way, I've gained 16, it's not like I'm totally tipping the scales here!). Your opinion on my size is not wanted.

On my way to Sunday school, I ran into a girlfriend I hadn't seen in a few weeks who said, "Janelle, you look fantastic, I can't believe you aren't bigger!" (to be clear, this was no more than 2 minutes after the previous conversation I'd just had).

As I walked into Sunday school, I spoke with another woman who asked if it was a boy or girl then acted shocked when I said boy and responded with, "wow, I would have bet that was a girl the way you are carrying." I didn't ask what she meant by that, but isn't it what "they say" that if you swallow a basketball it's a boy and if you swallow the whole basketball court it's a girl? That's been the case for me, I thought.

8 comments:

Mom B said...

Thanks, Janelle. We older women can be thoughtless as we get further away from pregnancies and remembering how comments felt to us...we see you girls and remember the years of our young ones, and the way our pregancies seemed to last forever, and want to grab a little piece of connecting our generation with yours, but seem to NOT know what to say, and when we say it, it comes out our mouths much differently to what we hear in our heads. (okay, granted, some people are just tacky) There are several pregnant girls at our church (one of them our own Julia) and no doubt I've said similar thoughtless things. Thanks for the reminder. I'll try to see it through your eyes next time, and remind them how great they look!

Jenn said...

haha, I love this post! I can't believe you've only gained 16 pounds...hurray for you. If it makes you feel any better...I gained 53 with Hudson and there was never any denying I was pregnant regardless of which angle. I never imagined I could weigh so much...ever! You look absolutely fantastic in all the pics I've seen.

Holbie said...

Janelle - the comments that drove me nuts with both pregnancies were the ones "the way you are carrying, you are having an XYZ". Those drove me NUTS.

Enjoy the rest of the pregnancy.

- Allison

Anonymous said...

Janelle,
What a roller-coaster of comments in such a short time!
I've commented more than one time how beautiful and put together you always look weather you are pregnant or not!
Keep that smile going and thoughts are with you!

Jana said...

Jenelle, SO fun enduring the comments and the belly pats. I've already gotten a few pats and I'm barely showing--ugh. I just have to say---I've NEVER seen you when you don't look completely cute and put together---no matter what "state" you are in--with child or without!

Kathryn said...

The best comment I ever had was - you don't look like you swallowed a basketball - you look like you swallowed the whole team!

Nice.

emilie said...

ha ha, Janelle, this cracks me up. WHY Oh why do people feel soooo entitled to comment on pregnant women? It is so super awkward!! It's like the only socially-OK time to just come up to a person and comment on their body!! Hellooooo! It's the worst.

It sounds like you are doing quite well bearing up under it all though!! Anyway, if some people say you look tiny, and others say you look huge, you are probably just right :) Hang in there..

Mom said...

You were my basketball. Mark was my basketball court.