Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What life is like...Mary Kay?

The wise sage, Forest Gump, says it is like, "a box of chocolates".

I have come to recognize seasons in my life. It's surprising to receive a wedding invitation, for example. Whereas, 3 years ago, we attended a wedding most weekends.

I am in the pregnant/young baby/physically taxing stage of parenting, as are many of my friends. I wouldn't trade it for the world and love it more than anything. That said, I also am becoming increasingly more aware of myself, my personality and limits. I don't do New Year's resolutions, but in the past few weeks, with all of the stuff that's been going on around me, I've been forced to make a concerted effort to cypher through my life, cutting back where I can to make room for what (and who) is most important.

I know I'm being vague, so here it is. My time with the Lord is what makes my life grounded and gives me the strength to keep going when I'm tired (oh, so tired). My marriage is my second priority. Time with my husband is precious with the hours that he has to work to provide for our family and fulfill the demands of his job (but this is somewhat easy as we can stay up late talking etc). If you question it being more important than my kids, I say, what more can I give my kids than the most stable, loving home environment that is as close as we can make it (by the grace of God) to our heavenly Father's example of love? My kids are where I am currently focusing my energy. For too long I thought that if the phone rang, I was required by the gods out there to answer it. Same with the doorbell. (who makes these rules?). But I don't do that anymore. If I'm reading or playing with my kids, caller ID is super about telling me who to call back when they are independantly playing or sleeping. It's just where I'm at. (and usually, if someone is at my door, I don't want to talk with them anyway, or they can leave my package without chatting with me about it first). The final place I am spending time is relationally. We all need friends (duh). But, with afore mentioned priorities, I'm finding it necessary to scale back even here (Tear, how it pains my soul). Praise the Lord, my cup overflows with blessings of family and friends. Honestly though, where I'm at is spending the limited time I have gaining encouragement and mutually "sharpening iron" from the Christian sisters and family God has placed in my life.

When I was in Birmingham last weekend I was talking with my friends about growing up (sigh). I realize that I'm a type A personality. I realize that I need to be more laid back. (and, if we're being honest, I realize I haven't swiffered my floors in a week, but I'm trying not to sweat that). I am attempting to rid myself of stress, drama etc in an attempt to become those things. I think it's important for my family. I think it's important for me. I am realizing situations that I can avoid that don't bring out the best in my personality (not to blame anything/one for my sin, but as an alcohol shouldn't go to a bar, I am learning to recognize the situations that I likewise need to avoid).

I was talking to some friends last night and came to the conclusion that the stage of life I'm in right now is the "Mary Kay" stage of life. Intriqued? You should be. I don't have time to invest in new relationships (ie, expand my "business", if you will). I'm living off my previous investments (of relationships) in the pyramid scheme of life. Brilliant? Whether or not, I feel it describes where I'm at right now.

Can I tell you? I'm floored that my life is still full, fullfilled and amazingly more calm (well, I doubt anyone is surprised by the latter). I don't feel like I'm missing the little things.

So, without furthur ado, long live jammie Monday and family Saturday mornings! (and if you leave a message at the beep, I'll call you back sometime, I promise :) ).

5 comments:

Tate Family said...

Woo-hoo! So proud of you. :) **round of applause**

Meagan Dennison said...

Very good. I need to do a little more of that!

Anonymous said...

Very encouraging Janelle, and GREAT "non-resolution resolutions." :) Inspiring!

Jenny

Dance411 said...

well said! i just read a devotional about this!

Heather said...

Warms my heart! You are such an encouragement. Thanks for sharing your life. I can relate on so many levels. (also glad I made the cut somehow, hee hee)