Friday, August 21, 2009

Medical wisdom, shmisdom....

Good thing I didn't breastfeed my kids for the magical "keep-them-free-of-all-sickness" powers. Thankfully, I enjoyed it, mostly.

Anyway, you know how "they" (you know, them) say that if children are breastfed for the entire first year of life they will get sick less, have fewer earaches, be less at risk for asthma etc etc? Ryan flies in the face of all of that. He has been sick every month since last October. (and he was breastfed for 12 months and 2 weeks). Now some might say, "just wonder how sick he would have been without the BFing....or, it's the "wimpy white boy" thing. I don't know what it is, but I am OVER IT.

(You knew this opener could only be leading one way, right?)

So I was on the phone with the pediatrician confirming Ryan's 18 month well-baby appt on Monday (ack! 18 months tomorrow?!?!?!) and said, "after he cries he gets this weird croaky sound in his throat and breaths a little funny, but then he's fine--we're going out of town, you think he's OK?". She put me through to the nurse's line and Tina happened to answer (Tina, one of FOUR call in nurses, always happens to pick up the phone when it's me. We are on a first name basis.). She picked up, "Janelle, is it Ryan again?" (that's never a good sign...). I told her it was and he just happaned to be doing it right then and she said, he needs to be seen immediately. Super. Only problem, all doc's were at lunch and the next appt was 1:50. There was NO WAY my boy would be up for an appt at that time. So, bad mommy that I am, told her I absolutely was not going to bring him in then and needed something later, preferably after 4. She said, "3:30 is the latest I'll let you come in because I wouldn't be surprised to see you off to the hospital for a breathing treatment."

Say what?

"Why would he need that, do you think this is croup again" (again being, he got it last time in June. JUNE people!)? She said her thinking was that often when kids sound like that in summer it's because of seasonal allergies, ragweed being a big one (which my mom is pretty allergic to if I am remembering correctly) until the frost comes. She then pointed out that while she was not a doctor, she thought that's what it was. I asked her if she thought he might be developing asthma from it...and she said that's what she thought, but we'd see.

Yippee.

So, I'll be waking my kids up in a few to go to the doctor, and possibly the hospital this afternoon. The perfect conclusion to a r-e-a-l-l-y long week. If only Chris's birthday (yesterday, oops, HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABE!!!) could have been spent in the hospital...just like mine last February, the circle would have been complete.

As always, prayers appreciated and updates to follow.

2 comments:

The Levy's said...

I am so sorry - better safe than sorry though! Need an update of how everything panned out now! :) Thoughts are being sent your way!

Jonesey said...

Janelle-I feel your pain! Banjo and JMurrs were the same way. All of our kids (except Jojo) have been hospitalizied for croup! In fact my 7 year old Super T woke up with it last night!

Hang in there!