Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The creed

Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail is supposed to keep the mail from coming, right? Well, that is certainly not the case here! As mail doesn't come on Sundays, this is now day 4 of no mail for me. I feel so out of the loop. My junk mail isn't gonna read itself, you see.

Trying to stifle my irritation at having put on shoes and ice skated, walked gracefully barely made it to the mailbox to see nothing, I got curious (OK, bored, it's been a slow week) and looked into the "postal carriers motto". (Here's the history geek coming out in me--you are forewarned.) The original saying was actually "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" and was said by (the Greek historian) Herodotus. The USPO has no official motto and the reason the afore mentioned is generally identified with the USPO is that in 1896-97 when the New York City General Post Office was being designed, Mitchell Kendal, of the architectural firm in charge, McKim, Mead and White, suggested engraving Herodotus' saying on the outside of the building. From that time on the saying has been associated with U.S. postal carriers.*

So, there you have it. You might not be able to send your kids off to school today, but now we can all say that we learned something new today. :) (and, you're welcome, Leigh-Ann. See, history is fun! LOL.)

Should also add, I was highly annoyed to not receive my mail today until a friend told me she saw our mail lady unable to get up the hill. I guess I'll give her an "e" for effort.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Service_creed
*http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/post-office-motto.html

3 comments:

The Levy's said...

I can now sleep better tonight knowing this tid bit of information...Trivia Pursuit....here I come!! :)

Anonymous said...

LOL. this is beyond funny to me that you looked this up. and, isn't it "a" for effort??? for once, I think I am actually correcting you on a saying???????????? oh man, let this count twice, pleeeeease! :)

Leigh-Ann

Chris said...

LDC, its "E" for effort because effort begins with "E" boom, roasted