Monday, January 10, 2011

Snowpocolypse 2011

Alternate title: Jammie Monday on steroids!

Sad, really that I'm getting these up before the rest of my Christmas blogs (including a white Christmas). Sigh.

It's been doomsday from the weather people around here (you know, down south a flurry can send a city into a panic). We stopped at Publix yesterday after church to get a gallon of milk. My friend said there was a run on milk and not much left so I decided to get an extra in case. In addition to not much milk, there were about 6 loaves of bread left and zero bottled water. My friend made a good point--why a run on bread and milk? Why not a run on brownies and wine? I know which I would prefer...

Anyway, Chris and I were watching a movie last night when I got up to get a glass of water. I looked up from the sink and thought, "hmm, looks like there is a little bit of snow on the ground". Indeed. I opened the door and we had 3 inches in less than 2 hours (since bedtime). This is about unprecedented y'all. It is being reported that our area got between 5 and 6 inches! It was sleeting a good part of the night and morning though, so the top inch is ice. It's pretty icky, but the snow packs really well for a snowman/snowballs. :)

Since the city closed down, Chris was home from work. We had a yummy strawberry, cinnamon roll and eggs breakfast and then got ready to go play outside! Poor Jack, by the time I had us all bundled up he began crying (after he toppled over from layers--think "Christmas Story"). I realized it was past his naptime, so he did not get to enjoy the fun! Chris tried sledding (on our recycling lid--we are so redneck) and it was a hilarious fail on his part. Anna-Kate made a snow angel, we all made a giant snowman snowblob (who needs perfectly rounded body part anyway?) we made a mini snow fort, threw snowballs and then Ryan and I snuggled up to watch the fun. We were finally all chilled and came in for hot chocolate in front of the fire. Such a fun Monday!

Snow makes everything so pretty!



It was really deep and Anna-Kate was SO excited to get out in it to play!



Anna-Kate sharing her "popsicle" with Ryan.



Epic fail on sledding



Take two, gotta love the persistence.



Not to be outdone...



Me and my (bigger) boy!



The girls!



Rainboots have been our saving grace these past couple of snows!



Some neighbors were walking by as we completed our snowman (Chris made his bagel mouth sad. I'm sure he's truly happy though...).



Love that she is 1/2 the size of the shovel--and loved it!



Geesh, we are really a very pale family. Ryan and I snuggling in our lawn chair watching the snow.



Anna-Kate wanted to swing so Chris thought he would flip the swing upside down for her so it would be dry. It cracked into three pieces.



Warming ourselves by the fire with hot chocolate and marshmallows!



I took a bunch trying to get a good one....Ryan absolutely could not be bothered to stop drinking and take a picture. So, I post the "true to real life" version. :)

2 comments:

Katie said...

So fun! Don't worry, we rednecked it too by sledding on the top of the recycling bin!! What are southerners supposed to do, buy a sled for ONE snow! :) We had the hot chocolate thing going by 9 a.m....looks like ya'll had an early go of it as well! Enjoy your snow day!

emilie said...

HAHAHA!!! Thanks for making me LOL for real with your brownies and wine comment!

I went to Walmart the other day, right before it snowed, incidentally, and do you know what was completely cleaned out? Lentils. Like as in, a bag of dry beans... the shelf was empty. What in the world? I'm with you, please pass the brownies and wine. :)