Friday, March 4, 2011

The bottom line

My kids love to eat out. I don't know if it's a) a result of my cooking (hope not!) or b) it's just fun and often doesn't contain veggies. Either way, most days I get asked by someone if we can eat at a restwant. Today was no exception. On our way home from school Anna-Kate asked me where we were going to eat dinner. I told her at home. She asked why we couldn't eat out. I told her we were trying to be healthier as a family and to save money for school next year (fingers crossed). She wasn't happy with the answer, but that's all I heard about it.

For then.

During quiet rest time she asked if she could do some extra chores. This is pretty normal for her. She loves to have extra time cleaning with me, and for volunteering to do extra work we give her a little bit of money to begin teaching her about tithing, spending, saving (etc). She worked hard and I am always blessed by her helpers attitude.

At dinner she told Chris that she did extra chores today so she "could earn extra money for our family" (clearly missing the point that we pay her, thus it doesn't actually help the bottom line, but anyway). I had related the conversation to him so he asked if she was trying to save money for school next year. She responded, "No, now we have extra money to eat at restaurants, right?" Ha!

No comments: