Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mileage off the insurance card

Well. Gracious, it's been a week (or two).

Last week Jack had his double ear infection and we missed Ryan's well baby. Friday was his "makeup" appointment. Jack had been pulling on his ear all week, but I am so cheap I didn't take him in to pay an extra co-pay so waited to kill two birds with one stone. {shrugs} Good news, his ears were clear. Hallelujah! Ryans appointment went really well. He's moved up to just shy of 50% in weight and is hanging steady at 25% in height. Evidently, there are no shots at the 3 year well baby so off we went (with a really happy Ryan). I was depositing some checks at the bank (that shares a parking lot with my pediatrician--love it!) when I got a call from my doctor. Evidently there is some booster to something he got as a baby because more strands of whatever it was have developed. She asked us to swing back in for his shot. {enter loud protests and tears by the boy}. We circled back in and were quickly in and out and on our way home to watch Toy Story (bribe, err, reward for being brave). I know, I know, if we were still at Kaiser my blood would be boiling. Whatever, we'll call it strike one for current pediatrician. She had bonus points already for a) being awesome and b) changing the wording on my billing to save us about $300 (for getting the splinter out of Anna-Kate's foot).

The day progressed like any other until I went in to read Anna-Kate her story towards the end of quiet play time. She had a HUGE eye booger which I wiped away. About 10 minutes later, there was another one. I immediately wondered if it was pink eye, but her eyes looked normal, so I dismissed it (with a hopeful heart). Sure enough, about 45 minutes later it was there again and this time she commented that her eyes were itching {of course they were, it was after 5 now}.

For the first time, I utilized the Saturday hours our pediatrician offers (because they wouldn't just give me a prescription over the phone since I didn't know someone who had directly infected her. They cited it was possibly a different type of eye infection. It wasn't.). Doctor walked in and announced, from five feet away, "well, I know what's wrong with you!". Yep, pink eye in both eyes. Let me tell you, 3 times a day for a week is not going to be fun. And, bonus, if she cries, I have to do it again because she cries them out. So, needless to say, it's been a long day as I've followed her around spraying lysol on everything she passes by (all the while saying "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!") and doing laundry. Lots and lots of laundry (basically, anything she's come in contact with in the last 48 hours. I am determined for this not to spread throughout the family!!!). Bless her heart, she went to her room crying today because she thought she was in trouble and that no one wanted to be around her; breaks my heart. :(

Thankful that tomorrow begins a new week. :)

No comments: