Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Staycation

Does it count as a staycation if you literally don't leave your couch? :)

My parents kindly offered to pick up my kids and take them to their house for the week (it's spring break here). The kids were beyond excited to go (each helping pack their stuff last night with me). I am deeply looking forward to the rest I know that I need. THANK YOU Mom and Dad!

The planned C-section is a good thing as I don't feel so terrible, but bad because I'm not the trainwreck I usually am at this point, so I feel like I can do more...until late afternoon/evening comes and I feel horrible. So, the hope is that this week will force me to rest and relax with almost no responsibility. Then, I can be good as new. :) ha! (and, can I just say, having only 1 newborn in the house without the nagging questions/unknown of being a first time mom is EASY PEASY. Thank you Jesus! It might also help that sweet Jack is very laid back, already on a predictable schedule, a great eater, sleeper and pooper. Again, thank you Jesus!).

So mom picked up the kids this morning and I was in tears as they pulled away. I mean, I'm so excited for this time of rest and I know they will have way more fun there than they would here with me not being able to do much with them, but I always get choked up watching my kids drive away...it's like part of my heart is separated from me. About 3 hours after they left (and were already there) I realized Anna-Kate's lamby had been left behind (and, I take no responsibility for that, she took it downstairs instead of putting it in the suitcase as I instructed her to). Regardless, tonight will be the first night of her life without lamby (a small square blanket with a lamb head on it). I called her to tell her (so mom wouldn't have to deal with that at bedtime). I expected a pseudo-tantrum type cry but she just started sniffling and I could "hear" her lip quivering. She wasn't mad, she was sad. Break.my.heart. I asked if she could be brave and she said, "O.K. mama" through tears. Brilliantly, my mom remembered that she had her favorite doll, baby Kate, with her (that she does not get to sleep with at home) and said that could be a special prize at Nana's house. Problem averted. Hopefully that was still a good idea come bedtime. :)

I spent the day catching up on my TIVO, nursing and cuddling my baby, taking a shower (hey, it's the little things) and then Chris took me out to dinner. WOW, have I been missing out on the easy newborn stage! With Anna-Kate I was too nervous to leave the house for 8 weeks (no, I'm not exaggerating). With Ryan I was in far too much pain to walk from my room to his, much less leave the house. So when we took Jack and he hung out, sleeping in his carseat, for the entire dinner, we were floored at the ease. C-section mama's really miss out on that nice phase! (Sidenote, we went to a new burger place in town and it was SUPER--and the chocolate peanut butter shake was like liquid Easter reeces cup--extra peanut buttery. Wowza, it was good!).

That's all I got. Happy Tuesday. :)

1 comment:

Tate Family said...

I agree with you. Besides the slight amount of sleep deprivation, I find this stage to be really easy! I know all too well that LATER is when it gets hard!! :)