Friday, April 2, 2010

A visit with Aunt Julia

Alternate title: OK, so I over-document my kids' lives.

So, Chris had to return to work Thursday (BOOOO and sad, sad day!). Thankfully, my moms' sister, Julia, kindly offered to come up for a couple of days and lend a hand (or take over for me and become a cleaning, reading book, playing on the floor, present bringing, outside playing, going on walks with the wagon woman!). Clearly, we are extremely thankful.

Anyway, she got to our house in time to drive me and Jack to school for the kids' Easter parties. Anna-Kate's egg hunt began at 10:45 and was followed by her party...where she had (in this order) a piece of candy from the hunt, a rice krispie treat with jelly bean egg and blue bird peep craft, fruit, pizza and a very large cookie. (Sidenote, she is wearing the dress my mom made for me to wear to the hospital when my brother was born. And, she refers to it as her "strawberry spin-dress"--I used to call it my spin dress. She is a complete mini-me!)









Next, we moved on to Ryan's class for his party (cheezits, pretzels, PB sandwiches, cheese sticks, raisins, cookies, cupcakes...sheesh). Julia was holding Jack (I had just fed him) when a mom said, "what are you doing here with him...a child in this class had pneumonia on Tuesday." Super. So Julia kindly offered to take Jack outside in the stroller for a walk while I spent time with Ryan at his party. After the eating craziness was over, the kids had their egg hunt. Evidently, at the hunt last weekend, Ryan was completely uninterested in eggs (was more excited that the big kids had vacated the toys and slide) but he quickly learned from his mistake last week (there were treats to be had) and took off running, completely filling his basket! So cute. (my camera was in the stroller, so I only have this one picture of Ryan's party that I stole off facebook)



As we were driving home, I was turned facing Julia talking, when, out of the corner of my eye I saw Anna-Kate licking the bottom of her shoe. Yes, you read that correctly. When I calmly asked screamed "STOP, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?????" she matter-of-factly replied, "well Mommy, I'm licking the bottom of my shoe because there is some icing on there." (so much for sick-free environment for my poor little infant). Julia was no help as she was near tears laughing. I tried to hold it together to discuss the merits of good health.

Me: "Anna-Kate, we don't EVER lick the bottoms of our shoes. (Again, another mother moment of, "I certainly never imagined saying this. Ever.") You know how when food falls on the floor it turns in to trash?"
AK: "Yes:"
Me: "Well, the bottom of your shoes is kinda like trash..."
AK: "MY SHOES AREN'T TRASH!"
Me: "No, your shoes aren't trash, the bottom is yucky like trash..."
(Julia still laughing hysterically)

Ryan wasn't too sure about Julia at first, but quickly warmed up (I guess the big basket of presents and the marathon book reading didn't hurt!) He went potty for her and went to naps easily. She then read books to Anna-Kate for an hour, and she didn't even fall asleep! (Poor Anna-Kate, that is so often the case with her Mama) :)

A picture of me cuddling with my baby. Julia took such good care of us I was able to sit and enjoy my newborn.



Last night the kids had a "sleepover" in Ryan's room on their air mattresses and sleeping bags. You'd think they'd been handed the moon they were so excited.



When they awoke, Aunt Julia was ready to go and took them outside to blow bubbles (in their gift from the night before) before breakfast! We played upstairs for a long time then in the water table out back before lunch. Praise the Lord for the beautiful weather! The kids had nap/quiet rest time while Julia continued my laundry, ironing (I'm nominating her for saint-hood) and vacuuming and when Chris got home and pried them from their beds near 5 since they stayed up late talking last night and woke up early this morning and they both had about 45 minutes worth of tantrums between them this afternoon the kids woke up, she made Resurrection Rollswith them. SO cute!





Sweet Jack (happy 1 week "birthday!") opened his eyes to say goodbye to Julia.



Saying goodbye. Anna-Kate whispered to me, "I think Aunt Julia should come everytime."





Saying goodbye while wearing the Easter bunny sunglasses from her present basket.





Thanks a million Julia! :)

3 comments:

Mom said...

Boy, do I have a tough act to follow! Thanks, Sis!

Katie said...

Ahhhh Janelle, I must (shockingly so) admit to you that I, yes me myself, licked the bottom of my shoes as well when I was 4. Only when I did it I was a flower girl in my aunt's wedding and after walking down the isle (and showing my dad the rose on my fancy panties as I was going down the isle) I sat down in front of the bridesmaids and licked my shoes. I did this b/c my mom said to keep my shoes clean....well, I did...ALL of the shoe! :) I lived. :)

Dance411 said...

such a sweet aunty!

and anna kate and the shoes, wow! my child has done similar things then touched aubrey! AHHHHHHHH thank God for some sort of immunity from mama! it must be so nice having a spring baby, my mom wouldnt let me out of the house for weeks! HA! i had to sneak to annie's bday party :)
sounds like you are doing well with your new addition!