Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Jack's first peds appt

Since he lost 10% of his birthweight in the hospital I had to take Jack in today for a weight check (as did both of my other two...evidently times have changed and that is no longer OK. Maybe if they had given me my baby sooner my milk would have come sooner...*steps down off soapbox*.). Where was I?

Oh yes. His appointment. In the 36 hours we had (at that time) been home from the hospital he went from 6.15 lbs (discharge weight) to 7.33 lbs. My doctor was impressed with the cream I am evidently producing for my boy. I'm not gonna lie, I was relieved so as to get everyone off my back (I knew he'd make up for it...I mean, look at Chris and me...we're not exactly what you'd call scrawny...). Anyway, so he is 25% in weight, 75% in height (laughable, but whatever) and 50% in head (and it's funny, hats that fit Ryan perfectly fall down and cover up his eyes. Hilarious.). On another note, evidently medical thought has changed since my last baby (I feel so out-of-date already...geesh) and breastfed babies are supposed to be given vitamins every day starting from day 1. Seriously? Yuck. Poli-vi-sol is about the sickest stuff I've ever smelled, tried to remove from laundry and, unfortunately, had the bad luck of accidently tasting. Poor guy. My ped suggested tri-vi-sol as a less smelly/better tasting option, but ewww. Again, poor guy.

So, there you have it. Evidently eating a whole pan of brownies, a nice handful of cookies, rice krispie s'mores and icecream are really good for putting weight on a baby. I'm doing it all for my boy...just sayin'.

And just because he is so stinkin' cute...

At home after his doctor's appointment. Clearly, all worn out.



Getting released from the hospital:



Sweet Anna-Kate giving her brother kisses (while in her ballet costume for her performance in May):

7 comments:

Leslie said...

He is so cute Janelle! That first picture is perfect... He looks like a little baby doll!

I too hated the baby vitamins! They were so stinky, messy, he spit it out every time, and his breath stunk for the next several hours after taking them! Yuck!!

Tate Family said...

ahhh, MELT MY HEART! He is perfect!!! And you are looking fab!

Laura Fine said...

Oh my gosh! That picture of him is so sweet! He is beautiful!

Dance411 said...

janelle he is so precious!!!! and so funny marley got her ballet costume this past saturday as well! had to wrestle her out if it! HA! and baby vitamins suck and poor aubrey hasn't had them in a month! I'm so bad, I sorta forgot, guess I have some catching up to do! she WILL NOT swallow the vitamins! seriously! good luck with that one, if you have advice, please do tell!

Jenn said...

He is so adorable! I guess I'm a bad mom but I don't even give Hudson vitamins...I think I'm taking enough for the both of us.

phillips phamily said...

Love the new family photo!

Melissa said...

We have to do the vitamins too. And to complicate matters for us, I had to time it to give them to her when she was awake but after she ate (when does that happen?!) because it hurt me to nurse when she had the vitamin residue in her mouth. Ugh. Tri-vi-sol are definitely preferable to the other kinds and now she takes them like a champ.