Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My synopsis

...of a planned C-section. Presented by pros and cons...you know, how any type-A really looks at a situation.

CONS:
1. Having to plan all of the details (as opposed to people just coming to you as things happen)
2. Knowing. I know this sounds weird, but with a due date, there is always a chance that things will happen early (not for me you see, but for someone out there). Or, in my case, I have 2 extra weeks (as I go past dates) to make plans before I am stuck at home and married to a nap schedule.
3. The epidural, surgery prep etc hurt like crap.
4. The not eating/drinking after midnight before surgery and then the stupid liquid diet (which I, admittedly did not follow) afterwards...starving!!

PROS:
1. Everything is set (after the headache).
2. The whole surgery environment is calm and stress free
3. I hardly got the shakes during surgery
4. There was no pain during surgery
5. Even though I'm in pain now, I'm not a trainwreck like before.

In a perfect world I would have had a "normal" delivery and been myself a few hours later. However, God evidently designed my body by not giving me birthing hips. O well. So, given that my extremely anti C-section/pro vaginal birth doctor (clearly, not my Kaiser doctor, my last one) said he didn't believe I'd be able to deliver normally, the planned C-section is certainly the route to go.

(And those who said so with Ryan, feel free to keep your "I told you so" comments to yourself. Thank you.).

2 comments:

Jonesey said...

Hey, Congratulations on that beautiful baby boy! I love the post baby days. I really do. So much relief and a short time you get to just rest!! I hope you are able to rest and relax and snuggle with all of your babies!

I can completely see the benefits of a planned c-section. If you know you are going to need one it is better to do it when there is not the urgency of the body in labor.

And praise the Lord for a safe delivery and a healthy baby!!!

Tate Family said...

"In a perfect world I would have had a "normal" delivery and been myself a few hours later."

My sentiments exactly, Janelle. We got our "prizes," regardless. :)