Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hearts

I've been praying alot for hearts.

For my own. That I would truly hear people and not interpret things unfavorably. You know, give people the benefit of the doubt instead of hearing what I think they are saying instead of truly listening to them, thinking of their true intentions and thinking from different perspectives than my own. That my heart would be first and foremost for God, that I would be like Jesus, having a heart like His (therefore reflecting Him to others).

For my kids. That Jesus would guard and protect their precious little hearts. For their innocence to remain intact in this world. That Christ would truly captivate their hearts and claim them as His own. For wisdom as we train and discipline our kids that we would truly reach their hearts, not punishing bad behaviour for the sake of "good kids" but that Christ, through us, would touch their hearts and that their hearts would be like His.

I've been thinking about hearts a lot ever since I read Don't Make Me Count To Three by Ginger Plowman and Shepharding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp. (Both excellent books in my opinion.) Both talk at length about the importance of grasping your childs' heart and effective punishment etc. In the moments of day to day life I often find myself frustrated thinking that my efforts are in vain (sadly, I'm not just talking about my kids here, but often myself as well).

I over heard Anna-Kate having a conversation with "baby Kate" the other day.
AK: "Now baby Kate, mommy loves you, but your heart is not being pleasing to Jesus right now. You need to ask Jesus to forgive you and make your heart like His."

I believe I've said those exact words on multiple occassions. I guess it's sinking in. In my education classes in college I heard that the best way to learn is to teach, so I count this as a wonderful thing to hear "truth nuggets" being passed on to baby dolls. Clearly, and oh so thankfully, the Lord shows sweet reminders of His mercy and grace to my efforts that He blesses. I am so grateful!

No comments: