Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A two-fer

My sweet grandparents came to meet Jack and see us today. Such a special visit. Anna-Kate was in school when they arrived and for the first time Ryan was the only kid (Jack, shockingly, was asleep:) ). He was such a character. Mana and Papa were rolling at his attention getting antics. He is really coming into his own as a "funny guy" who loves to make people laugh. So sweet.

Jack woke up (and even opened his eyes!) when Mana held him and it was love at first sight. She has always said that my babies are beautiful (completely unbiased, I'm sure!) and commented specifically on how beautifully shaped their heads are. I finally confided that I couldn't take credit as my babies are C-section babies and thus don't get squished and misshaped heads. She said, "Oh! Well just the other day I saw a man with a really pointy head and thought, 'he must have been born the normal way because he does not have a handsome head'". I started crying trying to hold the laughs in. Hysterical.

Mana was beside herself to be holding a new great-grandbaby. It's blurry, but I love the excitment and happiness in her face.



George Henry holding Jack Henry, his namesake.



They are such a blessing to me and to our family!! Here is my sweet Papa watching Mana hold Jack:



Anna-Kate wanted in on the holding Jack action. How precious is this?



God bless her, my mom spent her day planting my garden for me. Ryan decided he wanted to "hep Nana"...for about 2 minutes. Then he went back to picking up the buckets that held the plants and putting them on his head. Bath night, you think? :)



So here's where the two-fer is coming in...so you have now read about my day. Now you get to hear some funny things.

When Mana and Papa were leaving I went inside to feed Jack. Anna-Kate turned to me and said, "Mommy, even though I have little ones, I think I can feed Jack for you. They work like yours, right?" I then had to gently explain how God made mommy's bodies' to only make milk after they have a baby in their tummy...hmm.

I got a new old wives tale told to me today. Jack was fussing a bit (it was his naptime and he's used to being swaddled (or, sleeping on his tummy, shh, don't tell. He's rolled himself over twice now and I may or may not have rolled him back...). Anyway, I told her that he has been a gassy baby (as all of mine have been). A minute later my Papa (who was wearing a wool sweater in my house because his hands were "like ice") noticed that my hot natured little man was without socks and told me to immediately put some on him. Then, I heard it. Mana said, "if a babies feet are cold they will have gas. Warm their feet up and it goes away."

There you have it. My day and some words of wisdom.

No comments: