Friday, July 16, 2010

Purpose

I am in a unique stage of life that demands everything (and more) that I have, all the time--physically, emotionally and spiritually. I'm tired. I get burnt out. But, I love my calling, and don't wish away even one second (OK, so I'd exchange some, not wish them away, does that count?).

As a mother, my job is to teach and protect my children. I am the door by which anything on the outside must enter. I wrote the other day about purposing to keep a tight reign on the words and music my children hear. Here are the other things I purpose, daily, to do.

1.) To speak calmly, even-toned and with kindness--even when my emotions are at a boiling point.

2.) To read with Anna-Kate, just us. There is nothing she loves more than me reading to her. Such a simple thing that I can do to show her, with my time, how much I love her.

3.) To get down on the floor and play trains, tunnels and trucks with Ryan. He is so good at playing independently that I truly have to purpose to spend individual time with him, because he doesn't demand it.

4.) To stop and really enjoy Jack. He is so happy and absolutely lights up and gets "full body happy", giggling and cooing, when I get down on his level to play and "flirt". Sweet special moments I can't get back.

5.) To not be lazy. I love to check my email, facebook and blog-stalk (and, for those of you who read this blog and don't comment--that's what you are, blog-stalkers!). Clearly, I know that as a mother of 3 with a big house to keep clean, kids' clothes to make, and dinner to prepare, my internet time needs to be kept to a minimum. I have to intentionally purpose to stay away from the computer while my kids are awake--and to put my desires on hold--to meet my kids where they are, putting their needs above my wants.

6.) To speak Godly truth, in love to my kids.

7.) To use Scripture in my reprimands and point them to Jesus, not to me being disappointed in their behavior.

8.) To discipline in love, and, to discipline my kids as individuals--not just doing one specific thing that worked on another child.

9.) To not get wrapped up in "my time" and stress bad naps or Chris working late. It's not my time, I've been gifted moments, some just last longer than others.

10.) To remember that my house can always be cleaned tomorrow, but today is the only day I will have these moments with my kids--to remember what is most important.

Wow, reading back over this list I sure feel like a slacker. Praying that my love for my kids will cover a multitude of my shortcomings and that my kids will look back, one day, and remember the sweet cuddles and time reading and playing.

8 comments:

Mom said...

Another tear-jerker!

You are wise to realize how fleeting these moments and opportunities are--something often overlooked in the exhausting job of raising preschool children. May God give you the strength and discipline to succeed at every one of the items on your list of purposed daily Mommy actions.

Much love from your often guilty-as-charged blog-stalking mother.

Glenn and Angela said...

Janelle, you are an incredible mom! One day when I "grow up" and have kids I hope to be like you in all of these purposes. :)

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Ouch! This makes me feel like a TOTAL slacker!

Just popping in to say hey. :) And now I feel the need to shut my laptop. Ha.

Tate Family said...

I. LOVE. THIS.

THobbs said...

You are an amazing mom. Great way of "remembering" your goals/purpose each day...because our purpose and roll as mommy can seem a bit cloudy at times!

Stacy Ann said...

Thanks for the reminders. :)
~A blog stalker.

Steven and Hannah said...

Janelle, your blog is so precious and yes, I qualify as a blog stalker according to your definition. So, here is my comment to make me less of a stalker!! You are such an inspiration. I am learning so much from your posts for when we have children one day. You truly are blessed to have such wonderful children, and they are blessed to have you as a mother.

Heather said...

This post sums it ALL up! I love it. I've had this conversation with other mother's of three little blessings. It's truly a place that many a Mom can relate to.